Can I get a wire dental retainer if I am pregnant?

You should be able to get a dental wire retainer if you're pregnant, but talk to your orthodontist first. Pregnancy hormones can cause changes in the body that could affect your mouth. For example, your gums may bleed more easily,  get inflamed, or infected. Pregnancy hormones may also cause your teeth to become a bit more loose. If you’re getting your braces removed while pregnant, you might consider getting the retainer as soon as possible. Fortunately,  you do not need to have x-rays or anesthesia to get a wire dental retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...