What causes oligomenorrhea?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Oligomenorrhea, now called infrequent menstruation, can have several causes. Sometimes, particularly in younger women, there is a benign tumor in the pituitary. An important contributor to infrequent menstruation is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The development of a lining in the uterus continues without ovulation and the signal for the lining to slough off. Sometimes the uterine lining continues to increase in thickness and weight, until some lining breaks away and sloughs off. The woman thinks she has menstruated when she actually still retains lining material. Another important cause of infrequent menstruation is the signal for both egg and lining development fail. In this case, the woman has a very thin lining. She may also have very low levels of hormones, which can affect other parts of her body. Ultrasound, blood tests, and the woman's menstrual record help in distinguishing causes of infrequent menstruation.

Oligomenorrhea can result from a variety of causes. Frequently, women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) produce an excess of male hormones, or androgens, which disrupt the menstrual cycle. These women often have oligomenorrhea as a result. Tumors, illnesses, and eating disorders often cause oligomenorrhea. Women athletes who follow extreme diets and demanding fitness schedules have complications with oligomenorrhea.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

What increases my risk for oligomenorrhea?
Your risk of developing oligomenorrhea is much higher with polycystic ovary syndrome. Women under a ...
How does oligomenorrhea affect pregnancy?
Oligomenorrhea can affect the difficulty with which you become pregnant. If your menstrual cycle is ...
What can I do to avoid oligomenorrhea?
Oligomenorrhea occurs in a lot of young women beginning their periods and in pre-menopausal women. P...
How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...