What causes oligomenorrhea?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Oligomenorrhea, now called infrequent menstruation, can have several causes. Sometimes, particularly in younger women, there is a benign tumor in the pituitary. An important contributor to infrequent menstruation is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The development of a lining in the uterus continues without ovulation and the signal for the lining to slough off. Sometimes the uterine lining continues to increase in thickness and weight, until some lining breaks away and sloughs off. The woman thinks she has menstruated when she actually still retains lining material. Another important cause of infrequent menstruation is the signal for both egg and lining development fail. In this case, the woman has a very thin lining. She may also have very low levels of hormones, which can affect other parts of her body. Ultrasound, blood tests, and the woman's menstrual record help in distinguishing causes of infrequent menstruation.

Oligomenorrhea can result from a variety of causes. Frequently, women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) produce an excess of male hormones, or androgens, which disrupt the menstrual cycle. These women often have oligomenorrhea as a result. Tumors, illnesses, and eating disorders often cause oligomenorrhea. Women athletes who follow extreme diets and demanding fitness schedules have complications with oligomenorrhea.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

Does oligomenorrhea affect adolescents differently than adults?
It is common that young women just beginning their period will experience irregular periods. They us...
Should I talk to my doctor about my oligomenorrhea symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if your menstrual cycle is irregular in this way. The underlying caus...
How does oligomenorrhea affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea is a menstruation disorder with which women have few, infrequent periods. Women with ...
Do adolescents grow out of oligomenorrhea?
Yes, adolescents often grow out of oligomenorrhea. The beginning of young woman's period is often ir...