What causes bronchial casts?

Farzanna S. Haffizulla, MD
Bronchial casts are often large, thick, tenacious mucus "molds or impressions" of the inner lining of the bronchial tubes of our lungs. They can occur as a result of allergic inflammation, infection, or excessive reactivity to the presence of a foreign body or chemicals. They can be "expectorated" or coughed up by the patient but if they remain in the bronchial  tubes they cause chest pain, shortness of breath and hypoxemia (low blood oxygen levels).

Continue Learning about Obstructive Lung Diseases

Is obstructive lung disease serious?
Obstructive lung disease is a serious illness. It can cause long-term health complications and perma...
How do I care for someone with obstructive lung disease?
When caring for someone with obstructive lung disease, remember to offer both emotional and physical...
Who is most at risk for obstructive lung disease?
Since smoking cigarettes is the main factor in the development of obstructive lung disease, smokers ...
What increases my risk for obstructive lung disease?
Smoking cigarettes significantly increases your risk for obstructive lung disease. Exposure to secon...