Do micronutrients interact with one another?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Many micronutrients interact. Vitamin D enables your body to pluck calcium from food sources passing through your digestive tract rather than harvesting it from your bones. Vitamin C helps you absorb iron. The interplay of micronutrients isn't always cooperative, however. For example, vitamin C blocks your body's ability to assimilate the essential mineral copper. And even a minor overload of the mineral manganese can worsen iron deficiency.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Benefits of Spirulina
Benefits of Spirulina
Today, Mexico City sits in a dry basin, but back in the 16th century the area was filled with the waters of Lake Texcoco. That was home to the Aztecs,...
What foods should I eat to reduce my glycemic index?
High-fiber cereal help reduce your glycemic index, but corn flakes increase it.Watch the video to le...
What is food's glycemic index (GI)?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How quickly blood sugar levels rise after eating a particular type of food is an effect referred to ...
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?