How can I eat potato chips if I want to lose weight?

Toby Smithson

Portion control is the key to eating foods you love. Potato chips are a food that is considered rich in calories but not nutrient dense. You will want to consider potato chips a sometime food instead of an everyday food because of the caloric content. It’s a matter of balancing out your calories with the calories you can burn off. A serving of potato chips (15 chips) is about 160 calories and 10 grams of fat. Experiment with baked chips or baking your own sweet potato chips as a lower fat and lower calorie alternative.

Keri Gans
Just eat one serving—usually one ounce. Also, count them as your carb at lunch or dinner (or as your snack). So enjoy them at lunch with a salad or half a sandwich (one slice of bread), and skip other carbohydrate foods if you eat them at dinner. If you eat them as a snack, pair them with protein, like a slice of cheese. You might also try baked chips, again eating just one serving.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Boost Metabolism with Spicy Foods for Weight Loss
Want to boost your metabolism, burn more fat, and lose weight faster? Add spicy fare to your diet. That's right. Adding spice, such as hot peppers, t...
How much oil should I consume if I'm trying to lose weight?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
With oil, even olive oil, the hidden calories can add up fast, sabotaging your weight loss. Since al...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Are All Processed Foods Bad for You?
Are All Processed Foods Bad for You?