How can I eat pizza and still lose weight?

Keri Gans
To enjoy pizza and still lose weight, it’s all about portion and toppings. With pizza, there’s really no standard serving size; one slice contains about 300 calories, which means one slice fits into a balanced diet, even when you’re eating healthy. One slice, not two, four, or a whole pie. Use pizza as an opportunity to add fiber-rich veggies to your diet. They’re high in nutrients and flavor. Pass on the meats. Sausage, pepperoni, or other meats add only fat and calories to your healthy slice. Order it with veggies, request a thin crust, and ask for more sauce and half the cheese. You truly won’t miss it. If you have the option of ordering a whole-wheat crust, take it.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Toby Smithson

Portion size is key to the equation of caloric intake and weight loss. If you would like to have pizza, choose a thin crust pizza (1-2 slices) and serve with a large raw vegetable salad and low fat salad dressing. To keep the calories down, you can make your own pizza and modify the ingredients that are usually higher in fat such as using a low fat cheese, adding many vegetables to top the pizza, and if using meat on your pizza, choose lean meats. Keep in mind that a thinner crust pizza will have fewer calories than a comparison deep dish pizza.

Lisa Lillien

A few tricks can keep pizza on the menu for dieters. "Hungry Girl" author Lisa Lillien  reveals her best pizza tips in this video.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Belly-Flattening Breakfast Choices
Belly-Flattening Breakfast Choices
Need weight-loss help? This will make a big belly difference: Start your day with a high-protein breakfast (think eggs, maybe in a frittata). This shi...
How can the time of day when I eat affect my weight loss?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Different experts have different theories about the time of day you should eat if you want to lose w...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?