What are the ingredients in soft drinks?

The main ingredient in sweetened soft drinks is water; they are about 90 percent carbonated water. They provide essentially no key nutrients and are sweetened with either sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, which is a combination of fructose and dextrose (a sugar that comes from corn). Soft drink flavors come from artificial and natural flavors. Acids such as citric acid and phosphoric acid give a tart taste and act as preservatives. Coloring might also be added. Many soft drinks also contain caffeine. While caffeine is not necessarily harmful, it is a stimulant that can affect kids’ alertness and sleep patterns; make them feel anxious, jittery, or dizzy; or cause headaches. Unfortunately, the amount of caffeine is not listed on labels or in the Nutrition Facts, but most caffeine-free soft drinks say so on the label.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Studies Link Coffee to Lower Risk of Death
Coffee: You love it, you need it, and the science suggests it's actually pretty good for you. Now, two large studies published by the Annals of Intern...
What beverages should I drink most often?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Most often you should drink: Water Decaffeinated coffee, tea, and other decaffeinated beverage...
Do relaxation drinks have any drug interactions?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Relaxation drinks contain herbals and hormones, so they can have drug interactions, especially with ...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?