How much force would it take to break the neck?

The amount of force needed to break a neck bone is different from person to person. It also depends on the position of the head and neck when the injury happens. For example, when the neck is slightly bent, it is much more vulnerable to injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, an...
In which sports do the most serious neck injuries occur?
Serious neck injuries are more likely in football, wrestling, and gymnastics. Diving into water ...
How is whiplash diagnosed?
To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may meas...
What is the best way to brace a neck injury?
The best way to brace a neck injury that just happened is to stabilize it by holding either side...