How much force would it take to break the neck?

The amount of force needed to break a neck bone is different from person to person. It also depends on the position of the head and neck when the injury happens. For example, when the neck is slightly bent, it is much more vulnerable to injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How is whiplash treated?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Treatment for whiplash includes rest and ice. Once the pain has subsided, exercises can improve neck...
How is whiplash diagnosed?
To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may meas...
What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?
The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, an...
Are there alternative treatments for whiplash?
There are many home remedies for whiplash, as most minor cases of whiplash can be treated this way. ...