Why can detoxification make me feel sick?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
When you eat a diet that is based on toxic and addictive foods -- such as salt, fried foods, snack foods, and sugary drinks -- you not only build up free radicals and toxic materials such as advanced glycation end products (AGEs) in your cells, but you also set the stage for feeling ill when you are not digesting food. Unhealthy food allows your body to create waste byproducts that must be removed by the liver and other organs. Only when digestion ends can the body fully take advantage of the opportunity to remove toxins. If the body is constantly digesting, it can't go through this detoxification process effectively.

When detoxification begins, people often feel queasiness or malaise. Eating something restarts digestion and shuts down the detoxification process, making the bad feelings go away. The lower the nutritional quality of your diet, the worse you will feel if you try to stop eating food for a few hours. You will only feel normal while your digestive tract is busy.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

Why is my body's well-being extremely important?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Since you are inseparable from your body, its well-being is extremely relevant. Those of you who ins...
What are some tips to help me cleanse and detoxify my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Here are some healthy tips to cleanse and detoxify your body: Organic: This tops the list because...
How can I detoxify my digestive tract naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your digestive tract naturally, you need 3 ingredients: lemon juice, ginger and sea salt...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?