What type of doctor should I see to treat myopia?

There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opticians. In the case of diagnosis and treatment, you would probably see an ophthalmologist or optometrist. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor that specializes in vision diagnosis and treatment. An optometrist conducts eye tests, diagnoses vision impairments and prescribes glasses/contacts. Both of these doctors can diagnose and treat myopia. Only an ophthalmologist can perform surgery.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is the rate of incidence of myopia?
Myopia is a common vision impairment. It is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the Unite...
How common is low myopia in the general population?
Low myopia is a common type of refractive error that affects children and adults. The rate of incide...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
What is low myopia?
Low myopia is a mild form of nearsightedness. Myopia can be referred to in degrees of severity: low,...