What causes low myopia?

Low myopia is a type of refractive error due to elongation of the eyeball or too much curving of the cornea. If the eye is elongated or the cornea too curved incoming light refracts in front of the retina instead of on it. It's a common hereditary condition and may be the result of neonatal influences that affect eye development. Acquired low myopia can be caused by environmental influences including frequent "up-close" reading or computer work.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
How common is high myopia?
High myopia is a common cause of blindness. Rate of incidence varies between ethnic groups, with a h...
What causes blurry vision while driving at night?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
Blurred vision when driving at night indicates that you have probably developed some myopia (nea...
What is curvature myopia?
Curvature myopia is a form of nearsightedness. People that are nearsighted can see objects that are ...