What causes curvature myopia?

Curvature myopia refers to a type of refractive error that develops when the cornea is curved too much. An abnormally-shaped cornea can be congenital. It can also develop later in life because the eyes continue to develop until about age 20. During this time, environmental factors can affect the shape of the eyes. In adults, curvature myopia can be caused by up-close work that forces the eyes to focuses heavily on objects directly in front, such as computer screen or book.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is the rate of incidence of early adult-onset myopia?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the United States. Ear...
Is early adult-onset myopia related to astigmatism?
Astigmatism is similar to myopia. It is another vision impairment that affects your ability to see t...
Does late adult onset myopia affect adults differently than children?
Myopia can affect anyone at any age. However, diagnosis of late adult onset myopia indicates that th...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...