What are some examples of mind-body exercises?

While most people think of meditation as the main mind-body exericse, there are many other forms that help you to connect your mind and body.  Yoga, Pilates, and Gyrotonics are three great forms of mind-body exercises. Tai Chi is another form of mind-body exercise.  You can also practice mindful breathing patterns, muscle relaxation, and guided imagery. Mind-body exercises are helpful in reducing stress, creating a sense of calm, decreasing chronic pain, and improving sleep patterns. 
Yoga, Pilates, and martial arts such as tai chi, tae kwan do, and qi gong are the most commonly known types of physical activity be classified as mind-body exercises. Although by adding the mental awareness aspect to any form of exercise, it can become a mind-body exercise. For example, many athletic runners will describe running as a meditative practice due to the focus of the breath, in through the nose and out through the mouth, along with the focus on the body keeping steady pace.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Movement as Medicine: The Power of Tai Chi
Tai chi, the ancient Chinese practice that combines movement and meditation, is designed to help you achieve balance, both physically and emotionally,...
What exercises can help me relax?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
A question to respond with is what exercise will not help you relax?  Some of your best forms of rel...
Should I worry about taking a yoga or barre class if I have a bad knee?
You should always use precaution whenever engaging in an exercise class if you have a bad knee. The ...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - ALL 8 Weeks