Are endorphins responsible for mental illness?

Scientists think that difficulties with endorphins might be responsible for moodiness, depression and certain mental illnesses such as obsessive-compulsive disorder. Endorphins latch onto cells called opioid receptors in the brain, communicating signals that block pain and release emotions. If they overdo their job or if the brain misreads their cues, you could be flooded with hormones that heighten anxiety or rage, or miss signals that you're satisfied with a particular task.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

What Is a Current Myth Around Mental Illness?
What Is the Future of Brain Health?
What Is the Future of Brain Health?
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?
How Can I Plan for the Future Without Worrying?