Are endorphins responsible for mental illness?

Scientists think that difficulties with endorphins might be responsible for moodiness, depression and certain mental illnesses such as obsessive-compulsive disorder. Endorphins latch onto cells called opioid receptors in the brain, communicating signals that block pain and release emotions. If they overdo their job or if the brain misreads their cues, you could be flooded with hormones that heighten anxiety or rage, or miss signals that you're satisfied with a particular task.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

The FDA Approved a Digital Pill That Keeps Tabs on Patients
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first drug with an ingestion-safe sensor in the United States. The sensor records when the med...
How can I accept my physical limitations?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
You don't have to like your limitations in life, but - for healing to occur - you do have to acc...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?