What are the symptoms of malignant melanoma?

When looking for malignant melanoma, look for symptoms that include changes in shape, border or colors of a lesion. If these changes are occurring over weeks to months, consider making an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist.

Early malignant melanoma can appear without warning but may develop from or near a mole. Use "ABCDE" to remember the signs and symptoms of this type of cancer:

• Asymmetry: One-half of the mole doesn't match the other.
  • Border: Edges of the mole are ragged.
  • Color: Pigmentation is not uniform and may spread into the surrounding skin.
  • Diameter: Mole's diameter is larger than the size of a pencil eraser.
  • Elevation: Mole is raised above the skin and has an uneven surface.

Any one—or all—of these traits may indicate malignant melanoma. If you see any of these, schedule an appointment with your doc.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?