Should I stretch before or after combat training?

Foam rolling should be performed prior to practice and your performance program to soften up tight muscle areas. Show up a few minutes early to training, foam roll first, then hop on the treadmill or begin your warm-up. If you are feeling exceptionally tight in certain areas like the calves or thighs, perform some static stretching (holding a stretch for 30 seconds) after you foam roll. The preferred order would be foam roll the tight areas, static stretch your muscles to help lengthen them, and then perform a dynamic warm-up with a few of the exercises listed above.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Will circuit training help my endurance for fights?
Circuit training is a great tool to implement into your performance program for several reasons....
How should I choose boxing gloves?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Here are some key factors in choosing boxing gloves: Size: Boxing gloves are available in small, m...
Should I focus on strength or power for combat sports?
Both go hand in hand for a fighter and a program should encompass both strength and power traini...