Should I stretch before or after combat training?

Foam rolling should be performed prior to practice and your performance program to soften up tight muscle areas. Show up a few minutes early to training, foam roll first, then hop on the treadmill or begin your warm-up. If you are feeling exceptionally tight in certain areas like the calves or thighs, perform some static stretching (holding a stretch for 30 seconds) after you foam roll. The preferred order would be foam roll the tight areas, static stretch your muscles to help lengthen them, and then perform a dynamic warm-up with a few of the exercises listed above.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

will jumping rope help me with footwork during a fight ?
Although jump-rope training has traditionally been used to enhance footwork skill and as cardiov...
what can i do to help improve my speed for a take-down during fights ?
Scott Ramsdell Scott Ramsdell
 First and foremost an MMA athlete must be proficient at wrestling. If the athlete does not possess ...
are speed and quickness the same thing for a fighter ?
No, speed and quickness are not the same thing. Typically, speed is considered to be linear and is a...
what does it mean to change levels ?
Changing levels is anytime your belly button moves up or down, such as during a shot, jump, or when ...