What is a gatekeeper?

When I think of a gatekeeper, those giant lion-sphinx-like creatures hovering outside the gates of ancient Egyptian temples come to mind. While those particular gatekeepers did control who came into those sacred places, the term has come to mean something fairly different in the insurance world.

For those with traditional HMOs, your primary care physician (PCP) is your gatekeeper. This doc oversees and coordinates all of your medical care. The gatekeeper must approve medical tests and treatments and even refer you to specialists for additional medical care.

Sometimes, point-of-service (POS) plans have gatekeepers, but YOU usually decide whether to have one or not.

Continue Learning about Managed Care Insurance

How can I learn all about a managed care plan before making a commitment?
You can read the Summary Plan Description (SPD), a guidebook of the plan, to get a better idea o...
What kind of benefits does managed care insurance have?
The main types of managed care plans are the HMO, PPO, and POS, each plan offering different benefit...
Can the Healthcare System Cope with More People Being Insured?
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?