Why is lycopene good for me?

Cancer Fighting Strategies:

With prostate cancer being the second leading cause of cancer death among American males, the photochemical, lycopene, may be one of best disease-fighting compounds on the plate. Research suggests that lycopene found in tomatoes and tomato products may help prevent prostate cancer. Cooking the tomatoes as well as serving them with a tad of oil has also shown to enhance the body’s absorption of this photochemical. Watermelon, pink grapefruit, and guava are other delicious food sources of lycopene.

Serve tomato-rich salsa with wholegrain tortilla chips and or bruschetta on whole grain bread as an appetizer. Lightly coat tomato halves with olive oil and chopped garlic and grill until lightly seared. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil for a savory and colorful tomato side dish. Make sure watermelon is on the dessert menu.

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and can even reduce your risk for prostate cancer. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains what foods contain lycopene.

Continue Learning about Lycopene

Can the antioxidant lycopene reduce my risk for a heart attack?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
One specific antioxidant -- lycopene -- seems to play a powerful part in reducing the risk for a...
Why should I eat more lycopene?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Research has shown that one particular antioxidant -- lycopene -- may play a powerful part in reduci...
What's the best way to eat tomatoes to get the most lycopene?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Cooking the tomatoes as well as serving them with a tad of oil has shown to enhance the body’s absor...
What's the Best Way to Eat Tomatoes to Get the Most Lycopene?