A Answers (2)
Call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:
- A baby who can't eat, drink, or cry because of coughing
- Trouble speaking more than 4 or 5 words at a time because of coughing
- Chest pain that goes up to the neck, arm, or jaw
- Passing out
- A lot of trouble breathing
- Coughing up blood or pink, foamy mucus
These may be signs of a serious problem. Get medical help right away!
You may need to go to the emergency room if your cough is so bad that you have trouble catching your breath. Always get emergency medical help if you have severe shortness of breath.
You might also need to go to the emergency room if you have a cough with these symptoms:
- high fever
- throat closing
- chest pain
- swallowed or breathed in a solid object
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.