How is nail clubbing related to lung disease?

Because breathing affects all of our organs, clues to lung disease are often evident in faraway places, like your fingertips. When the fingertips of corresponding digits of opposite hands are directly opposed, fingernail to fingernail, a small diamond-shaped "window" is apparent between the nailbeds. If this window is obliterated, then you have clubbing of your fingers and need to check out possible causes, especially in the lungs, heart, and intestines. These diseases cause dilation of the small arteries in the fingertips, which leads to hypertrophy of the tissue of the nail beds and clubbing of the fingernails.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Why You Need to Quit Smoking After a Lung Cancer Diagnosis
Odds are, you’re aware that cigarette smoking is a big-time contributor to lung cancer. It’s the number one risk factor for developing the disease, an...
What causes pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is an uncommon lung disease that ranges from mild to severe. Th...
What are the symptoms of bronchitis?
Signs and symptoms of bronchitis, a condition that occurs when the bronchial tubes in the lungs beco...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?