How does sleep apnea contribute to gaining weight?

Watch as Dr. Michael Breus discusses how sleep apnea could contribute to weight gain.

Sleep apnea makes you miss out on deep, restorative REM sleep. This leads to frequent awakenings at night (though your spouse may know it, you'll probably never feel yourself waking), lack of sleep, and daytime drowsiness. Not only are you more likely to develop arterial nick-causing high blood pressure (caused when your lungs hang onto carbon dioxide when you stop breathing), and, the bitter irony, you're more likely to get fatter because of sleep apnea.

That's because sleep apnea is like a series of rear-end collisions—one accident after another. The lack of sleep makes you tired. You feel like you need more energy. You eat foods that give you quick energy but also have high sugar and fat. You get fatter. You continue to have sleep apnea—and maybe now it's even worse, because being overweight is a key cause of sleep apnea. And the cycle continues.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Living With Sleep Apnea

Are CPAP masks uncomfortable?
CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) masks can be uncomfortable. There are several types of ma...
Should I avoid any activities if I have sleep apnea?
Steve Carstensen, DDSSteve Carstensen, DDS
If you are sleepy in the daytime, avoid everything, especially driving, where you need to be alert. ...
Does Sleep Apnea Increase the Risk of Getting Into Motor Vehicle Accidents?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?