How can I live with osteoporosis of the spinal column?

Some of us like to call osteoporosis the Rottweiler disease-because it can chew up bones fast. So your job is to do what you can to build your bones and make sure they stay as dense as the third-grade class clown.

For starters, do resistance exercises like lunges, bent over back rows, and squats with a weight in each hand, or the exercises in the You Workout. Strength training builds muscle AND bone-and that can help slow the progression of osteoporosis.

Also, take 600 mg of calcium twice a day with 400 IU of vitamin D twice a day, 200 mg of magnesium twice a day, and 300 mg of vitamin C twice a day, and some spinach or other leafy green with vitamin K in it. Then take another DEXA scan in 12 months to gauge your levels.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Living With Osteoporosis

How can strength training benefit me if I have osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Strength training with free weights, resistance bands, or resistance machines helps build strong...
Why should I exercise if I have osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Exercise plays a dual role in fighting osteoporosis. First, if you choose the right form of acti...
What are the benefits of joining an osteoporosis support group?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Osteoporosis doesn't affect only your bones. It can leave you feeling depressed, anxious, or afr...
Osteoporosis Drugs May Also Fight Cancer