How can exercise help to manage osteoporosis?

Calcium alone cannot build bone unless it is combined with a consistent exercise program. Exercise is key in staving off osteoporosis. Walking and other weight-bearing exercises strengthen the bones, but exercise also stimulates the cells to make new bone. Not only does it help to keep bones strong, it strengthens the muscles, which gives the joints more support, and keeps you limber, which can help prevent falls. What’s more, exercise does not have to be strenuous to stop or reverse bone loss. Two studies have found that older adults who walked at least 20 to 30 minutes daily had much denser bones than sedentary adults. 
The Osteoporosis Cure: Reverse the Crippling Effects With New Treatments

Once considered a progressive, incurable disease, osteoporosis can be prevented and/or treated in both early and later stages thanks to recent breakthroughs and medical developments. Now a medical...

Continue Learning about Living With Osteoporosis

What type of exercise can I do if I have osteoporosis?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Women with osteoporosis will want to be especially careful in choosing activities that won't ove...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteoporosis?
You should know that someone diagnosed with osteoporosis needs to take their medications, supplement...
How can a woman with osteoporosis reduce the risk of fractures?
James Everett, NASM Elite TrainerJames Everett, NASM Elite Trainer
Eating nutrient dense foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains has also been shown to reduc...
Osteoporosis Drugs May Also Fight Cancer