How can a service dog help me with my arthritis?

If your arthritic condition severely hampers your mobility, a trained service dog may be helpful to you. In addition to providing companionship, these dogs may be trained to respond to about 90 commands to help with day-to-day activities such as retrieving dropped items or items from shelves, opening doors, carrying items, pulling wheelchairs up ramps, turning on lights and assisting with counter exchanges at banks and stores -- tasks that can assist both children and adults in achieving greater safety and independence. Many organizations rescue dogs from animal shelters, providing yet another valuable service to the community. When choosing a service dog, be sure that adequate attention is given to matching your needs and desires with the dog’s abilities and personality.
Arthritis

Arthritis

Arthritis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier is a compendium of tips, techniques, and life-task shortcuts all learned from personal experience. Author Shelley Peterman Schwarz has lived with a chronic...

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

What are the benefits of using exercise machines if I have arthritis?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An elliptical machine is ideal for people with arthritis, because it is weight-bearing, but without ...
How can I organize my home to make living with arthritis easier?
If someone in your home has osteoarthritis, it's important to make the home as safe as possible to h...
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?