How long is my child's case of head lice contagious?

Your child's head lice are no longer contagious after lice shampoo treatment has been applied. Although there is a chance that some nits could remain on the hair, the nits themselves are not contagious. Children may return to school or childcare after the lice shampoo treatment is performed.

Your child may return to school and play after one shampoo treatment if crawling lice are gone. Check with your child’s school about their policy for lice.

Head lice is contagious until the child is free of nits and bugs.

Continue Learning about Lice

Up to 12 Million Children Get Lice Every Year—Is Your Child at Risk?
The kids are back to school—and back to germs and contagious conditions. Head lice are most common in school-aged children. In fact, up to 12 million ...
What increases my risk for lice?
Your risk for head lice goes up if you have contact with another person who has lice. You can also g...
What are body lice?
Body lice are small insects that live on the human body. They also live in the clothing or linens of...
How to Treat Head Lice
How to Treat Head Lice