What is a good exercise for calves?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
To do step calve exercises, stand on a step with your weight on the balls of your feet. Extend up as high as you can then slowly let down as low as you can while maintaining balance. If balance is an issue, we recommend using a step with handrails. Repeat for 10-20 repetitions.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

The standing calf raise exercise is good for developing strength, tone and endurance in your calves.

Stand up straight in perfect posture on top of a step or box. Your heels should slightly hang off the step/box. Hold onto a sturdy object for support. Fully extended up onto your toes and hold this position for 1-2 seconds. Slowly return to the starting position and repeat for 10-15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
How should I do a standing calf raise?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
To do a standing calf raise, stand with your feet flat on the floor. Hold on to the back of your...
What exercises can I do to strengthen my lower body?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here are some examples of exercises for your lower body: Prisoner Squat: Quads, core, butt, legs ...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?