How should I do shin raises?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Here's how to do the wall shin raises exercise:
1. Stand with your back and shoulders against the wall, with your feet shoulder width apart and about one foot in front of the wall.

2. Raise your toes as high off the ground toward your body as you can with your weight on your heels.

3. Slowly lower your toes until they are almost but not quite on the floor, and then flex them up again. Repeat this ten times.

You will feel the burn in your anterior tibialis muscle in the front of your shin. As you get better at this exercise, you can "pulse" quickly from flexing up and extending your ankle down.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Shin raises can be completed most anywhere but your best area will be somewhere that allows you to be elevated at least 2 inches off the ground:

• Find a surface that is elevated
  • Stand on that surface with your heels on and the balls of your feet hanging in the air
  • Slowly lift your toes, flexing your feet towards your body
  • Following, lower you feet back to starting position
  • Allow your feet to go lower than starting position for full range of motion

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
How can I get rid of the fat on my inner thighs?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
We hear this all the time! Who are those blessed women miraculously born with space between thei...
Do I have to do squats if I want nice legs?
No, you do not have to do squats. There are a lot of exercises you can do instead of squatting if ...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?