How do I properly perform a step-up?

To properly perform a box step-up, it is important to keep your chest up and back straight. Watch James Wiggins, of Memorial Hospital Jacksonville's H.E.A.R.T Fitness Center, demonstrate proper box step-ups in this video.
To properly perform a step-up, stand in front of a box or step with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed hip-width apart.  Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your arms hanging by your sides.  Next, while keeping your abs tight and chest up, contract your glutes and step up onto the box with one leg.  Land with the foot straight and push through your heel to stand upright as you bring the other foot onto the box as well.  Reverse the sequence and step back off of the box with both legs while maintaining good posture. 

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What can I do about my cankles?
If you have excessive weight or fat deposits in your lower calves the way to remove them is the same...
How do I perform alternate leg bounding?
Run forward with long steps. Balance on one leg and bound forward, landing on your opposite leg....
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt