How does primary lactose intolerance affect the body?

Primary lactose intolerance mostly affects your digestive system. It begins in the small intestine, where cells don't produce enough of the enzyme that helps break down lactose, the sugar in dairy products. This means that the body can't absorb that sugar, so it moves on to the large intestine, where it's fermented by bacteria. This fermentation causes symptoms like gas and bloating. It might also lead to abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Most of the time, these symptoms are mild. For some people, diarrhea is severe enough to prevent the intestines from properly absorbing nutrients in food, which can lead to weight loss.

Continue Learning about Lactose Intolerance

What to Do If You Think You’re Lactose Intolerant
These days, more and more people are embracing the dairy-free life. Whether it’s because of a lactose intolerance or a gut sensitivity, plant-based da...
Can I eat yogurt if I am lactose intolerant?
Layne Lieberman, MS, RDLayne Lieberman, MS, RD
If you are lactose intolerant, you can eat small amounts of yogurt -- especially greek yogurt -- as ...
What is the difference between lactose intolerance and milk allergy?
Sarah WordenSarah Worden
With a milk allergy there is an anaphylactic response, meaning there is an immune response attacking...
What Is Lactose Intolerance?
What Is Lactose Intolerance?