Can I drink goat's milk if I'm lactose intolerant?

Many years ago goat's milk was one of the few milk substitutes that could be used for infants or children with cow's milk allergies. We know today that people with cow's milk allergies will react also to goat's milk. So there are better substitutes then goat's milk for individual who do not tolerate cow's milk. Goat's milk also contains lactose and therefore someone who has true lactose intolerance would not do well on goat's milk.
There is slightly less lactose in goat's milk, 9 grams per cup compared to 12 grams in cow's milk. If you are lactose intolerant and would like to try goat's milk, start with a small serving with meals. The protein in goat's milk is similar to that of cow's milk. For that reason, people with milk allergies are advised to avoid goat's milk, too.

Continue Learning about Lactose Intolerance

The (Almond) Milk of Human Kindness
The (Almond) Milk of Human Kindness
Did you know that lactose intolerant folks can pass extra-pungent gas? Most people expell gas 10-20 times a day with little noise and no smell (Whew!)...
If I cannot eat dairy foods, how can I get enough calcium?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you cannot eat dairy foods, you can get enough calcium from many other foods. Almost any nondairy...
Can I eat yogurt if I am lactose intolerant?
Layne Lieberman, MS, RDLayne Lieberman, MS, RD
If you are lactose intolerant, you can eat small amounts of yogurt -- especially greek yogurt -- as ...
How Is Lactose Intolerance Diagnosed?
How Is Lactose Intolerance Diagnosed?