How should I be treated if I pass out from hypoglycemia due to diabetes?

It's important to treat hypoglycemia quickly because hypoglycemia can get worse and you could pass out. If you pass out, you will need immediate treatment, such as an injection of glucagon or emergency treatment in a hospital.

Glucagon raises blood glucose. It is injected like insulin. Ask your doctor to prescribe it for you and tell you how to use it. You need to tell people around you (such as family members and co-workers) how and when to inject glucagon should you ever need it.

If glucagon is not available, you should be taken to the nearest emergency room for treatment for low blood glucose. If you need immediate medical assistance or an ambulance, someone should call the emergency number in your area (such as 911) for help. It's a good idea to post emergency numbers by the telephone.

If you pass out from hypoglycemia, here are some DOs and DON'Ts for friends, families and co-workers:
  • DO NOT inject insulin.
  • DO NOT provide food or fluids.
  • DO NOT put hands in your mouth.
  • DO inject glucagon.
  • DO call for emergency help.

Continue Learning about Hypoglycemia Treatment

How is surgery used to treat hypoglycemia?
In rare cases, removing some of the pancreas can treat hypoglycemia. Learn more about the connection...
More Answers
How do I care for someone with hypoglycemia?
Caregivers of those with hypoglycemia may need to know how to use a glucagon kit. Learn more about h...
More Answers
How do I treat low blood sugar if I have diabetes?
The key is to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia and treat them before your blood glucose level ...
More Answers
How do I treat hypoglycemia?
The quickest way to raise your blood glucose and treat hypoglycemia is with some form of sugar. Lear...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.