Is there a standard way to prepare for exercise?

Incorporating a warm-up routine before exercise is a standard way to prepare for physical activity. Include some type of self-massage and flexibility exercises for tense, tight, or knotted muscles, as well as light aerobic activity. To complete a warm-up routine, first start by releasing any unwanted tension in the muscles through a self-massage technique called foam rolling. Place the foam roller on the ground under your target muscle and apply your body weight. Slowly roll along the muscle line until you feel a tender spot. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds to allow the muscle to relax. Next, perform some stretches for muscles that you just foam rolled and any other muscles that feel tense or tight. Hold each stretch for approximately 30 seconds. If you are not sure as to how to stretch, ask a fitness professional at the gym to show the proper technique. Finally, increase your body's core temperature by spending 5-10 minutes engaged in some form or light, aerobic activity since cold muscles and tendons are more susceptible to injury. This is an important step in the warm-up routine as aerobic activity will help increase both oxygen and blood flow to the exercising muscles.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

How should I hydrate my body when exercising?
For exercise lasting under an hour 16 ounces of fluids 1-2 hours before exercise. During exercise it...
How can I warm up my wrists?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a wrist circle warm-up: Reps: 10 Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Light Tempo: Slow and cont...
When establishing a fitness program, what type of training should I choose?
Aaron Lawson , NASM Elite TrainerAaron Lawson , NASM Elite Trainer
Choosing the proper training within a fitness program is critical to the overall success you have wi...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?