How should I warm up before lifting weights?

Everybody warms up differently. A great way to warm-up for a bout of resistance training is by performing a dynamic warm-up. A dynamic warm-up moves muscles and joints through their entire range of motion, and prepares the nervous system for what’s to come.

Before doing any fitness or exercise activities, a total body warm up period of 5 to 10 minutes is highly recommended.  A total body warm up can increase your body elasticity by 20% and get your synovial fluid going in the joints.  A better indication to know when you're properly warmed up and ready for  exercising, is when you notice sweat/moisture appearing on your forehead, back of hands, or under the nose. 

Tim Ferriss
Fitness
To warm up before a weight lifting workout, take 60% of your work weight for each exercise in a given workout and perform three reps at a 1/2 cadence (1 second up, 2 seconds down). This is done to spot joint problems that could cause injuries at higher weights, not to "warm up" per se. Preparation (prep) sets for all exercises should be performed prior to your first real set at 5/5.

In practical terms, the first few repetitions of each work set act as the warm-up.
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

Thinner, bigger, faster, stronger... which 150 pages will you read?Is it possible to: Reach your genetic potential in 6 months? Sleep 2 hours per day and perform better than on 8 hours? Lose more fat...

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

What precautions should I take when starting an exercise program?
Jaspal R. Singh, MDJaspal R. Singh, MD
When it comes to free weight and resistance training, it is important to focus on proper technique a...
How can I warm up my wrists?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a wrist circle warm-up: Reps: 10 Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Light Tempo: Slow and cont...
What factors should I consider when creating an exercise program?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
What do you want to achieve and how much time do you want to put into it? What do you like to do and...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?