How should I warm up before lifting weights?

Before doing any fitness or exercise activities, a total body warm up period of 5 to 10 minutes is highly recommended.  A total body warm up can increase your body elasticity by 20% and get your synovial fluid going in the joints.  A better indication to know when you're properly warmed up and ready for  exercising, is when you notice sweat/moisture appearing on your forehead, back of hands, or under the nose. 

Everybody warms up differently. A great way to warm-up for a bout of resistance training is by performing a dynamic warm-up. A dynamic warm-up moves muscles and joints through their entire range of motion, and prepares the nervous system for what’s to come.

Tim Ferriss
Fitness
To warm up before a weight lifting workout, take 60% of your work weight for each exercise in a given workout and perform three reps at a 1/2 cadence (1 second up, 2 seconds down). This is done to spot joint problems that could cause injuries at higher weights, not to "warm up" per se. Preparation (prep) sets for all exercises should be performed prior to your first real set at 5/5.

In practical terms, the first few repetitions of each work set act as the warm-up.
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

Thinner, bigger, faster, stronger... which 150 pages will you read?Is it possible to: Reach your genetic potential in 6 months? Sleep 2 hours per day and perform better than on 8 hours? Lose more fat...

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

Why is it important to warm up before an exercise?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
A proper total body warm up for a period of 5 to 10 minutes before any exercising is important to pr...
How should I warm up my muscles before stretching?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It's important to warm up with a light jog or calisthenics before stretching, says Dan Gurley, ortho...
What is a simple way of starting a fitness program?
Your starting point will depend on your previous fitness experience, current level of fitness, and y...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?