What are basic core exercises for ice hockey goalies?

Examples of basic core exercises for ice hockey goalies include the two-leg floor bridge and prone-iso abs, or plank. The core is the center of the body and where all human movement begins. It is important to have a strong core because it provides stability, deceleration of force, and force production during the hockey game. The basic core exercises involve little movement of the spine and hips. They are designed to work on building core muscle endurance and to teach you how to activate the core muscles. To activate the core muscles, use the drawing-in movement and bracing. Drawing-in is bringing the belly button in toward the spine or sucking in the stomach. Bracing is contracting the abs, lower back, and butt muscles at the same time. Both of these movements are important for core stabilization and the basic core exercises will prepare you for more advanced core exercises. To perform the two-leg bridge, lie on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground about hip-width apart. Start the movement by pushing through the heels and driving the hips up in the air; hold at the top and then slowly return to the ground. To perform the prone-iso abs, or plank, lie on your stomach with the elbows under the shoulders and the forearms on the ground. Lift your body up until you are in a flat back position, hold and then return to the ground. Perform 1-2 sets of 15 repetitions of each exercise, holding at the top position for 2 seconds and using a slow tempo. To progress the exercises and make them harder, you can perform single-leg versions or hold for longer time at top.

Continue Learning about Hockey

What are the most important muscles to train to prepare for hockey season?
Ice hockey is truly a full-body sport, so the entire body should be trained to prepare for the s...
How do I stretch my calves for ice hockey?
To stretch the calves for hockey, first foam roll the area for 30 seconds, then perform a standi...
How can I improve flexibility in the butterfly position as a hockey goalie?
To improve flexibility in the butterfly position, use a combination of foam rolling followed by ...
What are the best exercises to perform during hockey season?
During hockey season you should use a mixture of exercise types such as corrective, strength, an...