How many days per week should I do cardio in-season for hockey?

Cardiovascular training in-season is based on how many hockey games you are playing during the week.  The general rule is that you should perform two high-intensity cardiovascular days per week. If you are playing approximately eighteen minutes or more a game, this game day is considered a high-intensity training day for you. If you have two games per week and you are playing a lot, you should not need any additional interval training during the week.  The most important cardio days for a player who is often in the game are the recovery days after a game, training at a low intensity on either a bike, elliptical, or in the pool.  If you are not playing a lot of minutes in the game you will need to do some additional high-intensity intervals several times a week for ten to fifteen minutes to maintain cardiovascular strength.  Your anaerobic threshold and endurance training should be maintained by your normal practice schedule.

Continue Learning about Hockey

What are the best exercises to perform during hockey season?
During hockey season you should use a mixture of exercise types such as corrective, strength, an...
How do I stretch my thighs for ice hockey?
To stretch the front of the thighs, or quadriceps, start by foam rolling the thighs for 30 seconds a...
What is a good drill to help with hand-eye coordination in ice hockey?
To improve hand-eye coordination, you can use an agility ball. Recruit a partner to bounce the agili...
What exercises help with the hockey backhand wrist-shot?
Exercises that have a turning and explosive movement like the medicine ball rotational chest pas...