Could I get HIV from donating blood?

No. You cannot contract HIV or other viral disease by donating blood. Sterile procedures and disposable equipment are used in all donation centers in the United States. Sterile procedures ensure that the spread of diseases from the equipment used or from the person who draws the blood is avoided. Needles used to draw the blood are only used once on the person donating the blood. The needle is then discarded.
No. The Red Cross uses a needle only once and then disposes of it. Sterile procedures and disposable equipment are used in all Red Cross donor centers. You can’t get any bacterial or viral disease – including HIV from donating blood.

Continue Learning about HIV and AIDS

If I take PrEP, can I stop using condoms during sex?
No, you should not stop using condoms because you are taking PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). While ...
Why is human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) transmission increasing?
Studies have identified disturbing increases in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection among y...
How long does it take for HIV to cause AIDS?
There is no single answer to the question of how long it takes for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV...
What is the rate of incidence for HIV?
About 33.3 million people worldwide are estimated to have HIV. According to the Centers for Disease ...