How long can I wear a truss to support my hernia?

When fitted properly, a truss can be worn during the day to prevent the hernia from bulging through the abdomen wall. If a doctor prescribes a truss, they will approve a length of time to wear it and whether the truss should be used when sleeping. A truss should not be worn in place of hernia surgery. Using a truss to support your hernia, over time, can lead to serious hernia complications including incarceration of the hernia. An incarcerated hernia is one that has become trapped outside the abdomen opening. In severe cases an incarcerated hernia can become pinched, a risk that increases with trusses that are worn improperly. A hernia that is pinched or strangulated is a serious medical condition that requires immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

Should all hernias be repaired?
TriStar Greenview Regional HospitalTriStar Greenview Regional Hospital
Hernias always require surgical repair at some point. The only issue is the urgency of the repair. T...
How do medications treat a Richter's hernia?
A Richter's hernia is a type of abdominal wall hernia that requires immediate surgery to correct. If...
What should I expect after hernia surgery?
Kendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaKendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Well, it depends on how the hernia surgery is performed. If it’s done openly, or you have an incisio...
How long does it take a child to recover from hernia surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Most children recover from outpatient procedures like a hernia repair in a remarkably short time, of...