What is hepatitis C (HCV)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Hepatitis C is a viral infection that causes inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis C infection is caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV) and can be transmitted through contact with blood infected with the virus. Hepatitis C infection can be acute or chronic. Acute hepatitis C  can last as long as 6 months and then clear up on its own. However, the infection usually turns into chronic (long-term) hepatitis C, which can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure or liver cancer. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C, but treatments are available to control, or in many cases, cure the infection.
Donna Hill Howes, RN

Hepatitis C is a liver disease. Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Inflammation is the painful, red swelling that results when tissues of the body become injured or infected. Inflammation can cause organs to not work properly.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Hepatitis C (once called non-A, non-B hepatitis) is a liver disease caused by a recently identified blood-borne virus discovered in 1989. This strain of acute viral hepatitis causes approximately 20,000 new infections in the U.S. each year.

Hepatitis C is generally a chronic disease and is contracted through blood-to-blood contact.

Hepatitis C (HCV) is a virus that attacks the liver, causing inflammation and other problems. In this video, liver transplant surgeon Dr. Robert Brown discusses the long-term effects of hepatitis C.

Hepatitis C is caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV) and can be transmitted through blood contact. Because of the lack of symptoms during early stages, hepatitis C is usually not diagnosed until its damage is well advanced.

Hepatitis C is a virus that spreads from blood-to-blood contact. For example, you’re at risk for catching the virus if you abused intravenous (IV) drugs or received a blood transfusion before 1992.  Hepatitis C can affect the liver and cause other health problems. It can change how your body manages insulin, which can make you more likely to get diabetes. It can also affect the kidneys and blood vessels and cause kidney disease. It is important to get screened for Hepatitis C and receive treatment, if you have the disease.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Caused by a virus, hepatitis C is a serious liver disease that can lead to significant and even life-threatening problems, including liver failure, scarring (cirrhosis) and cancer. Chronic hepatitis C is the most common reason for liver transplants.

Hepatitis C is spread through infected blood.

Hepatitis C infection may also play a role in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, diabetes, stroke and skin disorders.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

My Story, My Diagnosis: Tom's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Tom's Story
Tom is a father of 5—and grandfather to 11!—who contracted hepatitis C from a blood transfusion decades ago. After several failed attempts at treatmen...
Why should I get a follow-up blood test after a hepatitis C antibody test?
A follow-up test is needed after a hepatitis C antibody test, but only if the antibody test is posit...
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
Find out which foods you should (and shouldn't) eat with hepatitis C.
What Are the Treatment Options for Chronic Hepatitis C?