What are the risk factors for hemorrhoids?

Pregnancy increases the risk of hemorrhoids, as does chronic constipation and chronic diarrhea. Hemorrhoids tend to run in families, and the risk increases with age.

Brooke H. Gurland, MD
Colorectal Surgery

Hemorrhoids are caused by repeated pressure and strain. Certain conditions may cause internal hemorrhoids to bulge, become irritated, and bleed, including:

• Straining at stool
• Frequent constipation (hard or difficult bowel movements)
• Diarrhea (frequent, loose, watery stool)
• Pregnancy (especially in the third trimester)
• Cirrhosis of the liver (can cause pooling of blood in the vessels around the rectum)

Continue Learning about Hemorrhoids

How to Treat—and Prevent—Hemorrhoids
How to Treat—and Prevent—Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids. Not a popular topic, unless you’re desperate for a way to get rid of them. How can you find relief from painful, itchy hemorrhoids that c...
What is the difference between external and internal hemorrhoids?
Internal hemorrhoids lie under the lining of the lower rectum. They become problems when they fall d...
What kind of doctor should I see about my hemorrhoids?
If you're having some of the characteristic symptoms of hemorrhoids - swelling, bleeding, or pain - ...
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids