Should I use a nutritional supplement after my heart surgery?

Many people experience decreased appetite for a few days after surgery. Although you may not feel hungry, it is important that you try to take in calories and protein at this time. High protein shakes such as Ensure or Glucerna can help you get the calories and protein you need. If you find that you feel full easily, it may be best to eat what you can from your meals and take the supplement between meals.

As your appetite for food increases, you should start cutting back on supplements to avoid taking in too many calories. Your medical team may also prescribe a multivitamin and/or vitamin C to help make sure that you are getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs to heal.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What Diet and Lifestyle Changes Do I Need to Make after Heart Surgery?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
Dr. Emile Bacha - Do I Need a Special Diet After Heart Surgery?
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)?