How do electrolytes affect the heart?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Electrolytes are substances that help trigger and sustain the heart's electrical impulses. Potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium are necessary electrolytes in the blood that are vital to cell function. Studies show that blood pressure is related to dietary electrolytes. If you consume too much sodium, you can have high blood pressure. You can have high blood pressure if you have too little potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Eating foods high in calcium, potassium, and magnesium from fresh produce is important in keeping your blood pressure normal. The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is rich in fruits and vegetables and low-fat dairy products. This diet is also low in sodium. If your electrolyte levels get too high or too low, it can alter the electrical impulses of your heart and trigger an arrhythmia.

Continue Learning about Heart Health

Feed Your Heart a Hunter-Gatherer Diet
Feed Your Heart a Hunter-Gatherer Diet
Looking for some heart-health tips? Eating a bit more like our hunter-gatherer ancestors could be beneficial to your heart. A growing number of evolu...
When should I talk to my doctor about my heart health?
Dr. Gregory G. Pellizzon, MDDr. Gregory G. Pellizzon, MD
Talk to your doctor about your heart health as soon as possible if you are having chest tightness or...
This Is the #1 Diet for Your Heart
This Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your Heart
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine is a science-backed way to reverse heart disease—and makes it easy for you to eat healthy.
What Is More Important Total Cholesterol or Cholesterol Ratio?