What are the benefits of setting goals?

Lionel M. Bissoon, MD
Sports Medicine
Success in life is rarely an accidental event. We all know success requires commitment and follow through. When it comes to goal setting, once people achieve their target, they often aim even higher for further improvement. It just takes focus to begin the process, and once it begins, success follows naturally as a result.

Goals it seems simple enough but many don't know how to go about it or what the benefits are for setting goals. Think of goals as a destination. When you travel you typically have a certain place to go or visit, goals are no different. If you’re traveling with no destination you are traveling aimlessly with no real purpose of where you are going or what you want to achieve. The benefit of setting goals is to achieve something in your timeline. So whether it is a short term goal or long term goal you must set a certain path so you know where you are going and if you are headed down the right path. So much of us who want to lose weight but never really set a goal of how much or by what date you want to. This can be frustrating when you don't see results or it really doesn't happen fast enough for us. So setting those realistic goals by week or month you benefit of know what you want to accomplish. Just remember goals never end up going in a straight line, there can be set backs. Learn from your mistakes and move forward.

Erik Fisher
Goals are what help determine our progress and our paths in life. Without goals, we are but bits of dust floating in the breezes of life. Keep in mind that people who write their goals down are 80% more likely to reach them than those who don't.

Goals help us to organize our thoughts, hopes, dreams and expectations. So many people have great ideas, but when they are not clear on their goals, the best of intentions can helplessly fall to the ground. Trust me, I speak from personal experience. Too many times, people don't want to get caught in the details because they can seem less exciting and glamorous, but it is the details that are part of those goals that contribute so much to success.

When setting goals it is important to consider short-term, intermediate and long-term goals. It is also important to consider goals that are global and specific. Finally, we have to consider goals that are realistic and tangible. Goals can be dreams and hopes, but they will not always be. One has to be careful when they set goals. Like expectations, if they are set too high or too low, it can be unproductive. Sometimes the best thing to do when setting goals is to discuss them with someone you trust and has both wisdom and experience.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

Why You Should Always Wash New Undergarments
Creepy but true: Last year, a woman in London made headlines after getting herself out of debt by selling her dirty underwear on the Internet for $60,...
How can I schedule the essentials of healthy living into my day?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Make your schedule specific - listing when, where, and how you plan to sleep, eat, exercise, and...
7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters
7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters7 Surprising Secrets of Healthy Eaters
They have nothing to do with what you eat—or how much. 
What Healthy Lifestyle Changes Are People Most Willing to Make?