How much time do people spend sitting each day?

People spend about nine hours sitting each day. According to a 2012 study, people were sitting an average of 64 hours a week. That’s about nine hours of sitting every day. Nine hours. Sitting. Every day. It’s not hard to believe when you think about how jobs and workplaces have evolved. From modes of transportation and communication, to the way people even procure and prepare food, people have physically engineered activity out of their lives.

To track the number of hours a person spends sitting , for one day he or she could track every minute spent sitting, from the morning commute, working at a desk, lunch with colleagues, afternoon meetings, the commute home and even the time on the couch after dinner, and add up the number of hours.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

A Walk Outdoors Can Improve Your Vision
A Walk Outdoors Can Improve Your Vision
In 1967 when Hair opened at the Public Theater in New York, no one thought Let the Sunshine In would become a world-wide chart-topper (sung by the 5th...
How can I maintain my lifestyle choices?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
First ask yourself, is this a change that I can and want to maintain for the rest of my life? If so,...
6 Healthy Life Hacks
6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks6 Healthy Life Hacks
Just because you’re pressed for time, doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Here are some tips and tricks to make being healthy easier.
How Does High Performance Play Into Everyday Life?