Is wearing underwear that's too tight unhealthy?

Wearing underwear that is too tight can cause a variety of health issues. If you wear your underwear up high near the belly button this can put excessive pressure on the stomach and aggravate acid reflux disease. If you wear your underwear low it can aggravate urinary incontinence issues, and compress nerves of the groin and lower leg as well as hamper blood flow. Do not wear garments that leave indents or pressure on the skin.

Keri Peterson, MD

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Keri Peterson discusses how wearing underwear that is too tight can affect your health. Watch Dr. Peterson's video for information on health and wellness.

Continue Learning about Healthy Habits

How to Rewire Your Brain to Love Healthy Habits
It’s like clockwork: Every day you eat a cookie at the same time. Or you park yourself on the couch and turn on the TV after dinner. You don’t even th...
How can I stay organized if I'm a busy mom?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
If you're a mom, develop a system for organizing your life according to what needs to get done now, ...
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life9 Healthy Habits That Add Years to Your Life
Some of these lifestyle tweaks could add more than a decade to your life expectancy.
4 Fashion Mistakes That Affect Your Health