Why should I add spices to my food?

Rachel Begun

Adding spices to food is a good idea for many reasons. For starters, spices contribute rich flavor to food without adding any calories, fat, sugar or salt. In addition, research is showing that spices contribute to health just as much as fruits and vegetables, providing anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. While all spices are good, some to focus on that provide great nutrition and rich flavor include: cinnamon, chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic and ginger.

Sunita Mohan
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Most spices are flavorful and strong in taste and aroma, so a little goes a long way. You want the spices in your food to enhance the dish you are preparing rather than overpowering it.
    Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
    Spices don't just make your food taste good, they're important for your overall health, too. Ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties, while caraway, cumin, and cinnamon play a role in digestion and can help with weight management. Adding different spices to your meals and snacks can help spice things up ... the right way.
    Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Growing Your Own Groceries
    You’d think finding fresh produce in a tropical island paradise would be cheap and easy. But with the majority of Hawaii’s produce being shipped in, g...
    What is a healthy winter soup?
    Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
    The winter season may have you craving a warm bowl of soup. Cook up a broth of shiitake mushrooms, s...
    8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
    8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
    Craving comfort food? Here’s how to make sure your favorite winter stew won’t weigh you down.
    How Can I Buy Healthy Groceries On a Budget?