Why should I add spices to my food?

Rachel Begun

Adding spices to food is a good idea for many reasons. For starters, spices contribute rich flavor to food without adding any calories, fat, sugar or salt. In addition, research is showing that spices contribute to health just as much as fruits and vegetables, providing anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. While all spices are good, some to focus on that provide great nutrition and rich flavor include: cinnamon, chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic and ginger.

Continue Learning about Healthy Foods & Cooking

7 Healthy Ways to Eat Meat
7 Healthy Ways to Eat Meat
Lots of heart-conscious consumers and waist watchers have recently rehabbed their steak knives, having found that -- hang onto your knife sharpener --...
7 Refreshing Cold Soups to Enjoy This Summer
7 Refreshing Cold Soups to Enjoy This Summer7 Refreshing Cold Soups to Enjoy This Summer7 Refreshing Cold Soups to Enjoy This Summer7 Refreshing Cold Soups to Enjoy This Summer
These easy recipes feature nutritious staples like roasted red peppers, cauliflower and avocado. Ah, summer—from days spent poolside to outdoor cookou...
8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili8 Tricks for Healthier Chili
Craving comfort food? Here’s how to make sure your favorite winter stew won’t weigh you down. Cold winter months by the fire are even better with a wa...
What Are Some Healthy Orange and Yellow Foods?