What is a healthy diet?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
The foundation of your diet should be high-quality protein, fats and nonstarchy vegetables that don't spike blood sugar or insulin. The reasons are simple: these are the types of foods that not only reignite your metabolism, calm body-wide inflammation, and crush cravings, but also fill you up. Remember it is very hard to control how much you eat, but easy to control what you eat. It is the quality of the food and the composition of your meal that matters most in reversing weight gain and creating health.
The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet Cookbook: More than 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight and Stay Healthy for Life

The companion cookbook to Dr. Mark Hyman's revolutionary weight-loss program, the #1 New York Times bestseller The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet, with more than 150 recipes for immediate results! Dr. Hyman's bestselling The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet offered readers a step-by-step guide for losing weight and reversing disease. Now Dr. Hyman shares more than 150 delicious recipes that support the 10-Day Detox Diet, so you can continue on your path to good health. With easy-to-prepare, delicious recipes for every meal - including breakfast smoothies, lunches like Waldorf Salad with Smoked Paprika, and Grass-Fed Beef Bolognese for dinner -- you can achieve fast and sustained weight loss by activating your natural ability to burn fat, reducing insulin levels and inflammation, reprogramming your metabolism, shutting off your fat-storing genes, creating effortless appetite control, and soothing stress. Your health is a life-long journey. THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION 10-DAY DETOX DIET COOKBOOK helps make that journey both do-able and delicious.
Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
A healthy diet includes generous amounts of fruits and vegetables. In this video, I will say that half your plate should be fruit and vegetables, a quarter whole grains and a quarter lean meat.
Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
When considering healthy eating, consider the old definition of the standard grain-based diet and the tenets of my nutrient dense vegetable-based eating style:

High-Nutrient Diet:
  • Vegetable-based
  • Lots of beans, nuts, and seeds
  • At least four fresh fruits daily
  • Oils used sparingly
  • Animal products minimized (zero to five times a week)
  • Focused on nutrient-dense calories
Standard Diet:
  • Grain-based
  • Lots of dairy and meats
  • Lots of refined sweeteners
  • Oils used liberally
  • Animal products emphasized (two to three times a day)
  • Focused on nutrient-poor calories
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Helping You Recover From Nutrition Info Whiplash
Feeling whiplashed when it comes to sorting nutritional fact from fad? First you hear, “It’s fat that’s bad for you, not sugar!” Then, “No, sugar is b...
How can I keep my kitchen free from food temptations?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
To keep your kitchen free from food temptations, get them out of sight and out of reach! In this vid...
How much fish should I eat per week?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
People who eat fish often have lower heart disease rates. Based on this, the American Heart Associat...
What's Wrong With the American Healthcare System Today?