Why should I keep a low salt level in my daily food?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The Centers for Disease control recommend that we eat 2300 mgs of salt (sodium) or less per day. For those over 40, African Americans and those with high blood pressure the recommendation is to eat 1500 mgs or less daily. The reason for this is that increased salt intake has been associated with high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.  

Many people think that not adding salt to their food is all they need to do to maintain a low salt diet. However, it is easy to be fooled especially if you eat processed foods. Certain canned meats and soups contain large quantities of sodium. For instance, a cup of chicken bullion contains about 1100 mgs of sodium and 3 ounces of cured ham contains 837 mgs. Three ounces of Canadian bacon contains 1197 mgs of sodium.  

When it comes to salt, it is important for all of us to become educated consumers. Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women in our country. This is one way we can help to decrease our risk.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

5 Key Nutrients and How to Get Enough of Them
In a society that’s become so focused on losing weight, it’s second nature for many people to check nutrition labels for a single number: calories. An...
How can I avoid unhealthy foods?
To avoid unhealthy food: Automate your eating by planning your meals ahead of time. That way you...
How can I add fruit to my meals?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Depending on your age, weight and activity level, you should be eating about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of ...
How Do You Teach Kids to Eat a Balanced Diet in this Day and Age?