How do I know if I am properly hydrated?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Hydrate yourself with water, not soft drinks of energy drinks, during the summer months. Dr. Oz talks about a quick test you can do to see whether you are dehydrated in this video.

During activity, you lose water primarily through sweating and breathing. There are two main ways to monitor your hydration to see if you are replacing lost fluid: Take note of the color of your urine, and how frequently you urinate. If you are properly hydrated, your urine should be pale yellow in color. If your urine is dark yellow or even brown in color, you are likely dehydrated and need to drink fluids as soon as possible. Ideally, you should be emptying a full bladder that contains pale yellow urine every 3 to 5 hours daily.

You can also monitor fluid loss by weighing yourself before and immediately after activity to calculate your net fluid lost. The basic formula is pre-exercise weight minus your post-exercise weight equals your net fluid loss. These weigh-ins should be done in the same or similar dry clothing with dry hair and should only be used to monitor fluid intake, and not for general, everyday weight monitoring. Drink 2 to 3 cups of both water and a properly mixed sports drink for every pound lost and not replaced during activity.

This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Athletes

Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
Plan Your Post Workout Nutrition
At over 6-feet and 8-inches tall, New England Patriot’s offensive tackle Trent Brown currently has a Super Bowl ring—and the title as the heaviest per...
How soon after a workout should I eat to maximize recovery?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A light meal consisting of carbohydrates, protein, and fluids should be eaten within 30 minutes afte...
What kind of snacks should I eat if I exercise?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The body uses carbohydrates, protein, and a smaller amount of fat to power through a work out. Snack...
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?
What Happens When You Have a Good Diet?