Do our brain cells die as we age?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
Back in the old days, it was thought that as we went through life we lost neurons day by day, but research studies have refuted that. In fact, there's widespread conservation of brain cells as we age -- neurons do not die out with normal aging. They actually undergo more subtle changes.

If anything, as we get older, the development of new cells continues in parts of the brain, including the memory centers of the brain. But the way that the neurons communicate, both electrically and chemically, changes. You may see a decreased number of synapses, or connections, between cells. You may see changes in the neurotransmitters systems, the chemicals that communicate between cells. You may also see the signaling pathway within the neuron changing, so pathways that used to promote neural outgrowth and learning may be disabled, while the actual survival pathways may stay intact.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Science-Backed Ways to Live to 100
Science-Backed Ways to Live to 100
While most of us might want to live to 100 and beyond, it’s very rare to do so—but some people have figured out how. They live in places called Blue Z...
What are the steps to successful aging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Dr. Oz explains anti-aging tips in this video from Discovery Health.  
What is age management medicine?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Age management medicine (AMM) is dedicated to the science of healthy aging and emphasizes the enhanc...
Can Lifestyle Choices Affect the Way I Age?