Do our brain cells die as we age?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
Back in the old days, it was thought that as we went through life we lost neurons day by day, but research studies have refuted that. In fact, there's widespread conservation of brain cells as we age -- neurons do not die out with normal aging. They actually undergo more subtle changes.

If anything, as we get older, the development of new cells continues in parts of the brain, including the memory centers of the brain. But the way that the neurons communicate, both electrically and chemically, changes. You may see a decreased number of synapses, or connections, between cells. You may see changes in the neurotransmitters systems, the chemicals that communicate between cells. You may also see the signaling pathway within the neuron changing, so pathways that used to promote neural outgrowth and learning may be disabled, while the actual survival pathways may stay intact.

Continue Learning about Healthy Aging

Mistakes That Age You
Mistakes That Age You
I’m not quite 30, and people often tell me I look younger than my age. And why not? I’m a road-running regular who laces up four times a week. I try t...
Can DNA repair therapies slow the aging process?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Some anti-aging "centers" perform a variety of diagnostic tests and administer nutritional suppl...
How can I lower my risk of developing a disease as I get older?
Diet and exercise! Eating a healthy diet, avoiding foods that are bad for you and maintaining your w...
20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
20 Minutes to Younger Muscles