What happens to money left in a HSA at the end of the year?

If you have money left in a health savings account (HSA) at the end of the year, that money can stay, and continue to grow, right where it is. It will simply roll over to the next year. Unlike other types of medical expense savings accounts, HSAs are not subject to a "use it or lose it" provision that would require you to forfeit or use up the money in the account by the end of the year. Your HSA allows you to build up funds that can be used to pay your medical expenses now, in the near future, or even in your retirement. 

Continue Learning about Health Savings Plans

What is a health savings account (HSA)?
A health savings account (HSA) is a personal savings account that lets you set aside pre-tax funds a...
What happens to my health savings account (HSA) if I switch jobs?
You are the owner of your HSA, which means you can take it with you when you leave your current job....
Can I use my own money to help lower my healthcare costs?
You can use your own money to lower your healthcare costs by paying for your healthcare expenses usi...
What are the tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA)?
There are several tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA), an account or trust you set up wit...